9 Do’s and Don’ts for Great Podcasting

I appreciate podcasts and the deep dive into subjects that interest me.  I seek podcasts that reflect my mood or enhance an activity I’m doing.  Once in awhile I come across a Podcast that has turned me off.  Unfortunately they don’t get me back.

Here are the Do’s and Don’ts if you are thinking about starting your own podcast and what I listen for.

1.        Short and Sweet Introductions - I believe hyping up a guest too much is just asking for trouble. I'm yawning or fast forwarding.  Believe me, if we like the interview we’ll be looking them up.
2.       Be Sincere – Shows like The School of Greatness by Lewis Howe.   I feel his generosity and strong desire to serve.  Every question he asks is for the listener.  The humility of guests and hosts is what I listen for. 
3.       Preparation – I’m uncomfortable if the guests are stumped and feel cheated if questions aren’t fully answered.  Present a few basic questions to the guests in advance.  I think you get richer content that way and a more relaxed conversation. 
4.      Great listening - A good host is tuned in to the listener.  She will say things like, “our listeners might be thinking.... How would you respond? “  A good host like Paul Gilmartin on the Mental Illness Happy Hour will never interrupt his guests. He always provides a safe environment to share.
5.       Be relatable – It’s ok to tell the same stories.  We like you and that’s why we listen.  I’m fond of tangents.  Jordan Harbinger on The Art of Charm is an excellent interviewer and fun.  He helps you understand what you just heard with examples and anecdotes.  He asks thought provoking questions.  The kind you like to write out and answer for yourself.   
6.      Don’t name drop- Even the most sincere hosts and guests can’t pull it off.  It just seems like you’re trying too hard to sound “successful”.  Unfortunately the opposite happens. 
7.       Predictability is key - If I’m coming back to listen to your show it’s because I like the format.  Don’t change it.  Run the same segments. The Shair Recovery Podcast with Omar Pintar is brilliant at this.  He asks the same questions to every guest.  I look forward to hearing those answers from all his wonderful guests. 
8.      Threesomes are tricky.  Unless you’re an expert at it like Anna Maria Tremonti on CBC The Current who has mastered this skill, threesomes are more awkward than engaging.  Prepare in advance who’s answering what.
9.      Long form podcasts   Not a fan of bite size pieces.  It feels like scraps.  It clogs up my feed to upload a bunch of 10 minute blurbs. 

I find inspiration on my favourite topics during the mundane chores of everyday life.  I’ve been brought to my knees listening to heart wrenching stories and have discovered amazing role models and people who lift me up and teach me how to live.  If this makes me a podcast addict then so be it.  I will die a brighter happier and less stressed out version of myself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trans Activism

Exploring Climate Change

Unveiling the Dark Side of the World Economic Forum