Patience is a Virtue in Retail

Working in a very busy convenience store in cottage country over the summer I gained a much
different perspective on human nature. People shouldn’t have to go to work and get beaten up
by public unkindness. The experience helped me understand why people working in retail don’t
always greet you with a cheerful smile on their face. Here are some dos and don’ts that I’ll be
using moving forward.
1. Don’t roll your eyes like I’m taking too long. You’re the one buying lottery when there’s a
big line up behind you.
2. Don’t complain to me about the prices. It’s not my company.
3. If you count out exact change because you think it’s faster and easier, you’re totally
wrong. It’s just annoying.
4. Please don’t throw your money at me and expect me to remember what you bought. If
you think you’re too good or important to stand in line like the rest of the customers
remember that there’s no limo waiting for you.
5. Don’t think your griping is unique. I can pretty much guarantee we’ve heard it before.
6. If I’m being nice to you and you’re not nice to me back, you really look like a jerk and we
remember faces.
7. Don’t give me the stink eye if you’re waiting in line. It makes me nervous and it’s out of
my control.
8. Check your patience radar before heading out of your house. If it’s below the line, stay
home.
9. If someone hasn’t served you right away it’s not because we’re ignoring you, it’s
because we’re busy.
10. If someone scooped your ice cream or pumped your gas, why not leave a tip? Loonies
and toonies add up and make us happy.
Without this fun job over the summer I would never have considered some of my own bad
behaviour. I’m glad that I now understand the importance of cultivating patience from both sides
of the counter. I just thought patience was a soft fluffy quality that nice people have. Patience
really is a virtue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trans Activism

Exploring Climate Change

Unveiling the Dark Side of the World Economic Forum