Failure to Launch

Judging by the caravan of vehicles pulling in and out of the high school at 8:00 am every morning I’m guessing I’m not the only one driving kids to school every day. “They could walk, it’s not that far” I tell myself as I wait for them in the driveway. I pass the other kids who are walking and question, “Am I doing the right thing? Their parents are smarter making their kids walk to school. Their kids will be my kid’s bosses one day.” For parents who are driving kids our excuses are so varied: They slept in, missed the bus, or like mine, too lazy to walk. Perhaps their books are too heavy or they need extra time in the morning. Maybe we fool ourselves into thinking it’s “quality” time.
My Father said to me, “no offence honey, but I’m glad I’m not raising kids in this day and age the way your generation caters to their children.” Does he have a point? Are we going overboard? Time will tell. We will all measure our parenting based on whether our children are living happy successful fulfilling lives. We must accept the fact that coddling them is a huge mistake. Let’s not mislead them. The Limo doesn’t pull up in front of their house. Nothing gets handed to them on a silver platter or fall at their feet and the world doesn’t care how they feel.
Sometimes it feels like it’s our responsibility for their entertainment, activities, transportation and spending money. I often wonder whether the kids that have to figure stuff out for themselves are going to be farther ahead. Most kids expect rides everywhere and get signed up for any activity they’re remotely interested in regardless of cost.
Self reliance is relying on oneself. John Shedd said, “A ship in the harbour is safe but that’s not what ships are for.” Let’s make sure our kids don’t depend on us for the rest of their life. Launching them into adulthood is our responsibility.
I’ve made a decision to evaluate my parenting on a weekly basis by asking myself, “How has my parenting led to the successful launch of my teenage girls into adulthood?” My most recent course correction pertains to food. I’ve told my teenagers to stop saying the “H” word to me (hungry) whenever I walk into the room. We’d all like a personal chef at our beck and call but that’s not reality. My line back is, “you’re not 8 years old anymore.”
My Dad looking back at his own parenting efforts describes them as “mediocre.” It would have been nice if parents had of nurtured and protected a child’s self esteem but that was laughable back then. I guess every generation makes mistakes. I love this quote by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, “If you bungle up raising your kids, nothing else you do will matter very much.” We all want to raise happy, healthy, productive, disciplined children. Sometimes it requires us to say No, get it yourself, I’m busy, save your money, make your own dinner tonight and walk to school it’s a beautiful day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trans Activism

Exploring Climate Change

Unveiling the Dark Side of the World Economic Forum