Disengaged Kids Learn Nothing

Am I the Only One?

I received an email from my daughter’s Math Teacher. She was using her cell phone in class and struggling in Math. It had been going on for weeks. I appreciated the heads up. I replied, “Did you ask her to leave her phone in her locker?” I thought to myself, isn’t that what lockers are for? Why don’t we tear them all out if you can’t leave valuables in them? I question the effectiveness of a Teacher that can’t take away a cell phone from a student in class.

She replied, “I don’t mind if they use their phones while doing their work.” Although I’m sure sticking ear buds in, texting and doing math problems works okay for the really bright kids, my daughter needs to pay attention in Math.

Most teachers and administration have agreed that cell phones are a huge distraction. It sounds like a slippery slope and shouldn’t surprise anyone when engagement goes out the window. What I’ve learned from raising three kids is give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

The ministry didn’t do us any favours. Yes, that’s right. This bright idea came straight from the Province saving tax payers millions of dollars. As if we’ve noticed any difference. The Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program is a cost-effective way for school boards to save money on technology.

Meanwhile, oral communication is becoming a lost art. We should be fostering communication skills not replacing them with the miracle of modern technology. Surely we can still send our kids to school to listen and learn. They will soon go out into the world and apply for jobs, work with the public, move to a new city, become post secondary students and make things happen for themselves. How are they going to do all that if they don’t know how to have a conversation?

While some schools still have strict phone policies, most don’t and each Teacher has to determine how much phone use goes on in class and regulate it which I’m sure is a big headache. It makes me angry the ministry celebrates a program that clearly, doesn’t seem to be working very well.

I have another suggestion for a program, It’s called DKLN. “Disengaged Kids Learn Nothing”

The Teachers that don’t have strict cell phone policies are just asking for trouble.
My Daughter’s aren’t allowed to use cell phones at dinner and don’t bring them to the table.
Whether this Teacher was being cowardly, complacent or both my only thought was, “I’m not there and it’s not my problem.”

Signed,
Am I the Only One?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trans Activism

Exploring Climate Change

Unveiling the Dark Side of the World Economic Forum