Time Blog



In my personal life and in my professional life the gift of being able to manage time easily has been and continues to be a definite asset.

If you asked me about time management I would say that it’s a gift that comes to me effortlessly. . I highly value a sense of accomplishment. I’m very conscious about how I use my time and don’t like to waste it. Punctuality is an obsession for me and I never rush. Managing time is an organizational tool that is necessary to accomplish daily weekly and monthly and yearly goals.

Answer yes or no to the following questions:

• Are you always running a few minutes behind?
• Do you start the day wanting to get a number of things done but not completing everything because you ran out of time?
• Do you often have to rush to get somewhere on time?
• Do you often feel there isn’t enough time in the day to accomplish everything?
• Do you have everything you want to do in your head but don’t write it down?
• Do you often feel scattered and pulled in to different directions.

If you answered yes to more than 3 of these it is probably pretty clear that time management isn’t a strong point for you.
People will openly admit running late and feeling rushed. Not everyone reveres punctuality the way I do. It’s obvious to me that if I’m constantly running 10 minutes behind – to adjust the time it takes by 10 minutes. My in-laws set their clock 1 hr behind so they always have plenty of time to get somewhere without every feeling rushed. My OCD would kick into overdrive if I did that. However setting the alarm clock 5 or 10 minutes fast could create a nice buffer.

Try the following suggestions over the next few weeks and see if they help.

Write it down A person I know, not mentioning any names but sleeps in my bed every night, will leave the house to run 5 errands and only accomplish 3 because he forgot the other 2. Making a list allows you to put it all down and numerically sort each item. You’re done in half the time – no sidetracks and you won’t forget anything. Even if you don’t get everything done, just creating a list will mentally make you more effective. Those checks marked complete will give you a sense of accomplishment and propel you to keep going.

Planning Of course there are times we love to just “wing it”. I plan those days too. If you don’t plan your day or weeks then what will you accomplish? My guess is less than you wanted to. Time management is a predictable gauge to how successful someone is. If you tell me how you manage your time I will tell you where you’ll be in 5 years. If you’re a morning person do the important things first. I write in the mornings because that’s when my brain works better. I have great energy in the morning – I don’t need a work out. I need a coffee. I love to exercise in the evening because that’s when I need a lift. I love to bake. I bake in the evening because that is my leisure time. If there were more pressing things that needed attention I wouldn’t enjoy baking. It’s all about knowing yourself and what works best for you and using the best part of your day wisely.

Take a Breather Nobody will convince me that they haven’t got 20-30 minutes a day for themselves. In order to be effective, at anything, we need time to collect our thoughts. Time alone in silence is a life-saver. Walk in the park. Slip into an empty room at lunch. I’m also a big fan of power naps. A quick nap rejuvenates me but as my husband points out, if he has a nap during the day he wakes up feeling like he’s been run over by a truck! Not for everyone, but for those who feel refreshed after a nap – block that time out.

Set Boundaries Being reactive is a highly ineffective way to manage time. Oh! The phone is ringing – I should pick it up and talk for an hour. If you don’t manage your time, who will? Checking your email and texts obsessively may not seem like it but it’s disruptions like these that can cause huge delays and draw your attention away from the tasks you’re trying to complete.

Take Control If you have to make appointments try and jig them for a time that won’t interrupt your productive flow. At lunchtime, for example, you could eat your sandwich on the way or in the waiting room once you’re there. If you’re able to set meeting times at work, choose them carefully. If it’s an important meeting, pick the time frame where you feel most on top of your game. If it’s a draining meeting then pick a time later in the day so you’re whole day isn’t ruined. If it’s a long meeting, what block of time works best for you?

It’s hard to change the habit of always running behind, especially when it doesn’t seem all that important to you. I love the quote I read the other day. If you woke up today, consider yourself lucky. Others aren’t as fortunate. Time management is an important aspect of empowered living. It isn’t about being busier and using every moment in action. It means deciding how you’ll use blocks of your time to be more effective and enjoy a quality life by your own design.

Have a wonderful day and enjoy your blessings,

Carrie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trans Activism

Exploring Climate Change

Unveiling the Dark Side of the World Economic Forum