The Shift



Sometimes people behave badly. We all have inconsistencies, don't we? Sometimes I'm as cheerful and uplifting as one can possibly be. Other times I'm a tyrant screaming at my family to stop all their BS and let me live in peace.

We appreciate the people in our lives who accept our bad behaviour, dont we? Our families, spouses and kids who have seen the worst and the best of us.

I know nothing I do or say to my family will change the fact that they love me and accept me no matter what.

My question is: why can't we extend this level of understanding outside our family units.

to Paraphrase a quote by Brendan Frances:

If you have acceptance and understanding in your heart use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.


Into our extended families, neighbourhoods, schools, workplaces and churches. Don't we all have variations in personality and mood?

Our shifts come in many forms to help us. It could be in the form of a subtle sign or a major life change of circumstance. Others time it's a conversation or something we've read.

People eventually recognize that we're all human. We all make mistakes. We all behave badly from time to time.

It's not how they come that's important. It's that we stay open to receive them.
We can all work on extending greater compassion and understanding. I need to learn to be more kind and generous with my judgements.

Today my shift comes as quietly as it leaves. May it always remain a part of me now.

warmth and love,
Carrie

Comments

  1. How liberating! So many of us grow up with the need to be perfect. We end up living in fear of doing something wrong.

    It's a great relief to accept our humanness. Life becomes so much better when we do.

    Thank you for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trans Activism

Exploring Climate Change

Unveiling the Dark Side of the World Economic Forum